Knitted Bookworm

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

How I learned to knit!

In response to the contest being held by AJ for the SITM group, I'll try to remember details about how I learned to knit. I was probably about 10 years old and asked an aunt of mine to teach me how to knit. She was visiting from Arkansas and had brought knitting with her. I guess I just thought it looked like a neat thing to know how to do! I think I knitted a pot holder, but I have no idea where that is now. About 12 years later, I picked up knitting again as a newlywed and made baby blankets, baby sweaters and hats for friends. I pretty much re-taught myself by reading knitting magazines and just basically struggling through. I think that lasted about 3 years, until my own baby was born, then I didn't seem able to find the time! Over the course of many years, I've done a lot of crafty things, but really got hung up on quilting. That seemed to last the longest of them all. I returned to knitting, again, about 30 years later, when both my daughters became knitters. I guess the crafty gene is in us all! I think I'm in it for the long haul now. I currently have 3 pairs of socks, 3 sweaters, 1 scarf, and a clapotis on the needles!!!!!! School will start again in 2 weeks, and my knitting time will be reduced dramatically, so I'm going to knit like crazy for the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home